Sunday, October 26, 2008

Catching Up

A whole lot has happened since last I posted on this blog. For starters, I painted an entire show and had an opening at Tilting at Windmills Gallery in Vermont. The stock market dropped 20% (or was it 40%) in the two weeks before the opening so the timing was really, really bad. Nevertheless I managed to sell four paintings of decent size and price. Normally I would have been disappointed with this outcome but under the circumstances I was relieved and happy. One of these days I'll get around to posting some of the images from my show but meanwhile you can get a taste of it here http://www.tilting.com/our_artists/artist_work.php?id=19

3 comments:

jeff said...

Nice work!
I love the first fall painting.

Ahh yes the down turn or the recession.

Elizabeth I have a friend who works ofr Morgan Stanley and has done for the last 22 years.

He just lost 90% of his pension.
20 years, about half a million.

He's 55 and scared. He was not a broker, he works in the legal department.

On another note I have been reading this very interesting book called Still Lifes: Techniques and Style which is an very good examination on the still life painters from the Rijksmuseum.

What was great about the book was I discovered new painters!

One in particular was Rachel Ruysch who was considered one of the top still life and flower painters of her day. Her work is amazing and rivals Kalf's.

Great to see you posting again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff, Great to hear your voice again too. Your friend's story is heart-wrenching; I wish him the best.

I love Rachel Ruysch and have known about her for many years: when I was a young woman setting out to be an artist I recieved no fewer than three copies of Germaine Greer's "The Obstacle Race" in the space of about six months. If you haven't read it yet, it is worth picking up as it contains biographies of a lot of formaerly obscure women artists.

jeff said...

Elizabeth my friend works in the legal department and from what he has told me about what is going on, and he can't give all the info. However he said the economic situation is worse than what the government is saying. Much worse.


How will this affect artist is going to be interesting.